Active Release Technique (A.R.T.)
ART ® is a patented technique that is highly effective for breaking down scar tissue and adhesions that develop due to repetitive use, leading to conditions such as shoulder pain, sciatica, carpal tunnel, IT band syndrome, plantar fasciitis, and tension headaches. Dr. Wise has been using ART ® techniques for 7 years.
Graston® Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization is a form of manual therapy designed to treat soft tissue problems. As a Graston provider, Dr. Wise uses this technique to effectively treat new injuries as well as persistent, nagging injuries. One of the most exciting aspects of this treatment is the significant improvement that occurs even in cases where other treatments or more traditional therapies have failed. Graston® Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (GISTM) is a soft-tissue treatment that utilizes stainless steel instruments to comb over and "catch" areas of fibrous scar tissue. After these areas have been detected, the instruments are used to break up the scar tissue so it can be absorbed by the body, heal properly while decreasing pain and improving function.
- Separates and breaks down collagen cross-links, and splays and stretches connective tissue and muscle fibers
- Increases skin temperature Facilitates reflex changes in the chronic muscle holding pattern
- Alters spinal reflux activity (facilitated segment)
- Increases the rate and amount of blood flow to and from the area
- Increases cellular activity in the region, including fibroblasts and mast cells
- Increases histamine response secondary to mast cell activity